- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 quart ground onions
- 1 quart ground cabbage, about 1 large head
- 1 quart ground green tomatoes
- 18 bell peppers, a combination of green, red, and other colors, ground*
- 1/2 cup salt
- 6 cups sugar
- 4 cups vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons celery seed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- Combine onions, cabbage, green tomatoes, green and red bell peppers and salt; cover and let stand overnight. In the morning drain well. Put vegetables in a large kettle; add sugar, vinegar, water, celery seed and tumeric. Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently. Pack into hot sterilized pint jars.
- Seal and process in a boiling water canner for 5 minutes. (1,001 to 6,000 feet, process 10 minutes) *Red bell peppers can be expensive, but they are sweeter and add color to the relish. Makes 8 to 10 pints.