GRILLED APPLE-BRINED TURKEY
- Cooking Time: 180
- Servings: 12-14
- Preparation Time:
- 2 quarts unsweetened apple juice
- 2 1/2 c. packed brown sugar
- 1 c. kosher salt
- 4 oz. fresh gingerroot, peeled and thinly sliced
- 15 whole cloves
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 medium oranges, quartered
- 3 quarts cold water
- 1 turkey (12 to 14 pounds)
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- In a large kettle, combine the first seven ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until salt and sugar are dissolved. Stir in oranges. Remove from the heat. Add cold water to cool the marinade to room temperature. Remove giblets from turkey (discard or save for another use). Place a turkey-size oven roasting bag inside a second roasting bag; add turkey. Carefully pour cooled marinade into bag. Squeeze out as much air as possible; seal bags and turn to coat. Place in a roasting pan or other large container. Refrigerate for 18-24 hours, turning occasionally. Prepare grill for indirect heat. Drain and discard brine. Rinse turkey under cold water; pat dry. Rub oil over skin. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on a rack in a disposable foil roasting pan. Grill, covered, over indirect medium heat for 1 hour. Tent turkey with foil; grill 1-2 hours longer or until a meat thermometer inserted in the thigh reads 180 degrees. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes before carving.
NotesMy sister is the grilling queen and I am better in the kitchen. This year for Thanksgiving, she found this recipe for a grilled turkey. This was her first attempt at cooking a turkey and it came out fantastic... We all agree, we will use this recipe from now on!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Smitten Million Dollar Peanut Butter CookiesSee More