- Cooking Time: 5
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3 hearts of Romaine - organic if available
- Parmesan Cheese - shaved
- Olive oil
- Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
- Procuitto - grilled (optional)
- Caeser dressing - After years of making mine from scratch I now use a favourite store bought yogurt based dressing that I add some anchovie paste, minced garlic and fresh lemon juice to that makes it nice and light and not too creamy or thick. More flavour and less dressing to needed to coat the lettuce. Yeah!
- World's Best Homemade Croutons
- French Bagette or Loaf - cut into large 1" cubes and left out to dry
- Olive oil
- Garlic - minced
- Parmesan cheese - grated
- Paprika - I use smoked
- Italian Seasoning - I use the stuff in the grinder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Make the croutons first
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in large skillet over medium heat
- Lightly saute some minced garlic in the oil
- Toss bread cubes in pan to coat
- Pour 1 more tablespoon of oil over croutons to fully coat
- Continue to toss cubes until golden brown
- Generously sprinkle with paprika and Italian seasoning
- Lightly sprinkle with cayenne pepper
- Stir to evenly distribute the spices
- Turn heat off
- Spread 1/2 cup of grated parmesan over the croutons and toss as it melts
- Caution: Be careful not to taste these croutons by themselves as they tend to become snack food on their own!!
- Heat the BBQ or Grill
- Cut the ends off the lettuce hearts
- Spray with olive oil
- Lightly sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper
- In a small bowl mix the salad dressing with added ingredients as per above.
- Grill whole lettuce hearts about 1 minute per side on high heat
- Remove from grill and separate lettuce leaves onto individual plates for serving
- Distrube croutons on the plate
- Drizzle dressing over leaves and croutons
- Garnish with capers and shaved parmesan cheese and fresh ground pepper
NotesI think I got this idea from the Food Network but I can't remember the show. I know I got the idea for the homemade croutons from another cooking show but I've added my own touches.
This is a perfect salad for the winter when people don't necessary want cold salads.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
Christmas CookiesSee More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More