- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI love grilled cheese sandwiches. I also love hamburgers. So why did it take me this long to combine the two?! I guess in essence you could call them Patty Melt Sandwiches, but whatever name they're given, they're good. Really good. When I was surfing the web, I came across this article for the 'Web's Greatest Burger Recipes.' This Grilled Cheese Hamburger was one of them and ever since I laid my eyes on it, I couldn't stop thinking about them. I had to make them... and I did. A seasoned beef patty is cooked to perfection before nestling in between two slices of toasted bread adorned with melted American cheese. Heaven.
So, this is not a difficult recipe by all means. Essentially, it involves a seasoned beef patty that's pan fried until browned and slightly crispy around the edges. Meanwhile, two slices of bread are buttered on both sides and placed on a baking sheet, topped with a slice of American cheese. The bread is slowly oven toasted, perfectly timed so the cheese melts ever so slightly. Once the burger is done, the cheesy bread is removed from the oven. The burger patty is set atop one slice of cheesy bread and topped with the other. Once assembled, it's one of the best, meaty grilled cheese sandwiches or toasty cheeseburgers you'll ever eat. Mmmm...
- 8 slices of bread, your choice (I used buttermilk white)
- 8 slices of American cheese
- 4 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 pound lean ground beef (85/15)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Montreal Steak seasoning to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread and place the butter sides down on an ungreased baking sheet. Top each slice of bread with a slice of American cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 7-10 minutes until cheese is melted and bottoms are golden brown.
- Meanwhile, divide the ground beef into 4 equal pieces. Form each piece into a round burger patty. Season the tops of each burger patty with salt, pepper and Montreal Steak season to your tastes.
- Heat a skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil and when it starts to shimmer, place the burgers into the pan, seasoned side down. Pan fry the burgers to your desired preference and flip.
- When the bread is ready, remove from the oven. Place a burger patty on top of one slice of cheesy bread. Top with another slice of cheesy bread. Repeat with the remaining burger patties and cheesy bread slices.
- Slice each burger in half and serve.