- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI love making grilled cheese sandwiches, and I've gotta say people always love my grilled cheeses. I use a "smashing" technique that I learned from my father. I'm always experimenting with different fillings and my husband goes crazy for this very simple, very delicious sandwich.
- Sliced sourdough sandwich bread
- Extra sharp white cheddar cheese or really good monterrey jack
- Gala or fugi apple sliced very thin.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat.
- Melt butter on pan.
- Arrange cheese on bread, covering the slice completely.
- Place thinly sliced apple on top of cheese.
- Top with another piece of bread.
- Place prepared sandwiches on pan and place a heavy pan or pot on top of sandwiches, pressing down a little ("smashing") on them periodically to make the sandwich as thin as possible.
- When bread is golden brown, flip (add more butter to pan just before flipping) and "smash" other side.
- When both sides are golden, you are in business. Cut sandwices in half and enjoy!