- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Sliced sourdough sandwich bread
- Extra sharp white cheddar cheese or really good monterrey jack
- Gala or fugi apple sliced very thin.
- Heat pan over medium-high heat.
- Melt butter on pan.
- Arrange cheese on bread, covering the slice completely.
- Place thinly sliced apple on top of cheese.
- Top with another piece of bread.
- Place prepared sandwiches on pan and place a heavy pan or pot on top of sandwiches, pressing down a little ("smashing") on them periodically to make the sandwich as thin as possible.
- When bread is golden brown, flip (add more butter to pan just before flipping) and "smash" other side.
- When both sides are golden, you are in business. Cut sandwices in half and enjoy!
NotesI love making grilled cheese sandwiches, and I've gotta say people always love my grilled cheeses. I use a "smashing" technique that I learned from my father. I'm always experimenting with different fillings and my husband goes crazy for this very simple, very delicious sandwich.