- Cooking Time: 45 (for the Barley)
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 45 (inc 20 marinating)
- 1 tsp lemon peel, grated
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon style mustard
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 3 cups pearl barley, cooked
- 13¾ oz can artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- ---Grilled chicken skewers---
- 16 wooden skewers soaked in water
- 8 chicken breast halves, boneless, skinless
- Combine dressing/marinade ingredients in small bowl; set aside.
- Combine salad ingredients in large bowl.
- Drizzle ½ cup dressing/marinade over salad and mix well. Place chicken in sealable plastic bag; pour in remaining dressing/marinade.
- Seal bag and turn over to coat chicken pieces.
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from marinade and thread onto skewers.
- Grill or broil 4–5 minutes per side or until cooked through. To serve, place a portion of salad on plate and top with 2 chicken skewers.
- ---To Cook Pearl Barley---
- In medium saucepan with lid, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add 1 cup pearl barley; return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Makes about 3–3½ cups.
- Place any extra cooked barley in an airtight container and refrigerate or freeze for up to 1 week.
- Add cooked barley to soups, stews, casseroles and salads for extra fiber and flavor.
- For best results, bring refrigerated or frozen cooked barley to room temperature before using.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
WorkingBug's Open House Cookbook
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More