GRILLED CORN CHOWDER
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 ears corn
- olive oil or butter
- 1/4 lb. bacon, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 lb. potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Husk corn. Rub each ear with either olive oil or butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, until some kernels get charred/blistered Once the ears are cool enough to handle, cut the kernels off the ears. Set aside.
- Cook bacon in a stockpot or dutch oven, until it has rendered its fat. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside. If there is more than 1 Tbsp or so of bacon fat left, pour out enough so that 1 Tbsp. remains.
- Add onions, bay leaf and butter and cook until onions are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in potatoes and coat them with the fat. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add chicken broth and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer about 10 minutes or until potatoes are almost done, but not quite.
- Add in corn and simmer until potatoes have cooked completely.
- Pluck out bay leaf. Put 1/4 of the mixture through a food mill or a food processor. (This is not necessary but I like doing it because I think it gives the soup great texture). Add back into dutch oven.
- Add cheese and half and half and simmer until heated through and cheese is melted.
- Ladle into bowls and top with bacon (and more cheese, if desired).
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!
Secret of the Wings Cookbook
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Puff Daddy Pancake
Pumpkin-Cream Cheese Streusel Pie
Tossed Salad With Oil And Vinegar DressingSee More