- Servings: 6
- 6 frankfurters or sausages in such flavors as chicken pesto, curry, roasted-pepper pork, or Mediterranean lamb
- 6 ficelles or thin baguettes, split and toasted and cut to length of frankfurters or sausages; or hot dog buns, split and toasted
- Assorted toppings, such as Overnight Cucumber Pickles, Fresh Kraut, and Two-Pepper Tomato Relish
1. To grill frankfurters or fully cooked sausages: For a charcoal grill, place frankfurters or sausages on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals; grill for 3 to 7 minutes or until heated through, turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place frankfurters or sausages on grill over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
2. To grill uncooked sausages: Prick sausages with a fork. For a charcoal grill arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan. Place sausages on grill rack over the dip pan. Cover and grill for 20 to 30 minutes or until temperature reads 160 degree F on an instant-read thermometer inserted horizontally into sausage. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Adjust heat for indirect cooking. Grill as above.)
3. Place frankfurters or sausages in buns. Spoon on assorted toppings. Makes 6 servings.
*To Toast Buns on the Grill: Grill directly over medium heat about 1 minute, watch carefully, they can burn quickly.