- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups water or stock
- * 2 tablespoons fresh chopped herbs (basil, parsley, oregano)
- * salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- * 1 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- * 2 cups yellow cornmeal (preferably coarse ground)
- Bring water, oil, salt and pepper to a simmer. Pour in cornmeal in a thin stream, stirring constantly. Keep at low heat and stir with a wooden spoon to eliminate any lumps. Cook for about half an hour. Finish by adding the fresh herbs.
- By cooking polenta longer, you will achieve a firm texture -- which can then be spread out, cooled and cut into shapes that have a springy resilient texture.
- Spread just-cooked polenta on a greased sheet pan to about 1/2 inch thickness. The polenta can be cut into fritters after about half an hour but will be easier to work with after several hours