- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryCant remember how many times i have make that recipe ,could be 1000 maybe more.
- 4 1/2 pounds of octopus, fresh or frozen (defrosted)
- olive oil to coat
- For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- juice of 2 lemons or vinegar (about 4 tablespoons)
- To garnish:
- crushed Greek oregano (rigani)
- Remove the beak, at the bottom of the head where it joins the tentacles, with a sharp knife. (Squeamish? Wear rubber gloves.)
- Place the whole octopus in a pot with enough boiling water to to cover generously.
- When it resumes boiling, cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain.
- When cool enough to handle, rub the octopus with your hands under running water to remove the dark outer membrane.
- This comes off fairly easily, and if it doesn't all come off, that's all right.
- Place the octopus in the pressure cooker with enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, seal, and when pressure is reached, lower the heat and cook for 10 minutes. Use quick pressure release, remove the octopus and drain.
- When the octopus is cool enough to handle, cut off the tentacles, and cut the head sac into 1/2 inch strips.
- Brush with olive oil (or brush the grill) and grill over low coals for about 45 minutes to 1 hour (test for tenderness).
- Just before serving, cut tentacles into 3/4 to 1 inch pieces (on a diagonal), and make the sauce: whip the oil and lemon juice or vinegar in the blender until it thickens (a few seconds).
- Pour over the octopus, sprinkle with oregano, and serve.