GRILLED PESTO SHRIMP AND VEGGIE SALAD
- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- For the grilled veggies:
- 1 red and 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and cut into large pieces
- 1 red onion, chopped into large segments
- 1 yellow summer squash, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- For the pesto shrimp:
- 2 tbsp. pine nuts
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 3½ tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 lb. uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- For serving:
- Leafy green lettuce
- Tomato wedges
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Heat a grill to medium-high heat. Oil the grates to prevent food from sticking.
- To prepare the veggies for grilling, combine the bell peppers, red onion, squash and zucchini in a large bowl and toss. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and toss to coat evenly. Set aside.
- To make the pesto, toast the pine nuts in a small skillet over medium-high heat until just golden and fragrant, about 4-5 minutes. Set aside. Add the garlic to the empty skillet and toast, shaking occasionally, until the cloves are fragrant and the color deepens slightly, about 7 minutes. Transfer the cloves to a cutting board, cool, peel and chop. Place the basil in a heavy-duty, gallon size plastic bag. Pound the bag with a rolling pin until all the leaves are bruised.
- Combine the pine nuts, garlic, basil, olive oil and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Transfer the mixture to a bowl, stir in the Parmesan cheese and adjust the salt to taste. Set aside.
- Thread the shrimp onto skewers for the grill. Once the skewers are assembled, use the back of a spoon or a pastry brush to spread the pesto onto both sides of the shrimp. Set aside.
- Transfer the veggies to a grill basket and cook on the grill until they are crisp-tender, about 10-15 minutes (depending on the heat of your grill). Remove the grill basket from the heat and place the shrimp skewers on the grill in a single layer. Assemble the salads while the shrimp cook by tossing the grilled veggies atop a bed of green lettuce.
- Allow the shrimp to cook just until cooked through, about 3-5 minutes (depending on the heat of your grill), turning once during cooking. Remove the shrimp from the skewers and place them on top of the salads. Top with crumbled feta cheese and garnish with fresh tomato wedges. Serve immediately.
NotesFood for Pregnant Taylor
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!
Delicious Breakfasts for Gluten-Free Kids!See More
Luscious Tropical Dream Cake
Ultimate Peanut Butter & Chocolate Banana SplitSee More