- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 1:45
- 1 1/2 cups warm water - divided
- 2 tsp. light brown sugar
- 2 packets dry yeast
- 3 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 4 Tbls. olive oil - divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- pizza sauce - of your choice, as needed
- shredded cheese - of your choice, as needed
- toppings - of your choice, as needed
- Measure 1/2 cup warm water in a bowl; add sugar and yeast and stir to dissolve; allow to stand at least 5 minutes, or until froth forms on top.
- -Meanwhile, sift together into a large bowl the white flour, wheat flour, corn meal and salt; make a depression in the middle and add 3 Tbls. of the olive oil and 1 cup warm water; add prepared yeast mixture; mix all ingredients with your hands and gather together and place on floured board.
- -Knead dough about 10 minutes, adding more flour if dough is sticky, to form a smooth, elastic mass.
- -Grease a large bowl with olive oil; place dough in bowl and turn to coat with oil.
- -Cover and let rise in warm place, draft-free location until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- -While dough is rising, prepare desired sauce and toppings.
- -Divide dough into 6 equal pieces and, on a floured surface, roll out to desired shape, about 1/2" thick.
- -Coat both sides of shaped crust with olive oil, then place on grill directly over fire until upper surface begins to bubble, about 2 minutes. Fire must be very hot and grill must be clean (coals should be red with a small flame, like a steak fire; this is important). Watch crust closely and rotate with spatula if necessary.
- -Remove crust and turn cooked side up (it should be golden brown).
- -Brush with olive oil and top with sauce, cheese, and desired toppings.
- -Sprinkle some olive oil over each pizza.
- -Return for final cooking, 2-4 minutes.
- Notes: Keep in mind, the cooking time of these will be shorter than in an oven. Use toppings that take little time, if any at all to cook and do not overload. Try using a soft or crumbled cheese and a cooked, warm sauce
NotesGreat for summer time grilling!!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More