- Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 1 hour
- 1 eggplant
- 2 T white wine vinegar
- 2 T water
- 2 T plus 1/4 cup chopped tarragon, divided
- 1 minced shallot, divided
- 4 minced garlic cloves, divided
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 t lemon zest
- 1 T diced roasted red pepper
- 2 t chopped capers
- 2 T lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted pine nuts
- 12 butterflied fresh sardines
- Oil and roast eggplant 45 minutes at 375°; cool and coarsely chop flesh.
- Combine vinegar, water, 2 T chopped tarragon, 1/2 minced shallot and 2 minced garlic cloves; bring to a boil and simmer 5 minutes. Puree with chicken stock, 1/4 of the eggplant flesh, salt and pepper; sir in remaining eggplant and set aside.
- Saute remaining 1/2 minced shallot and 2 minced garlic cloves 2 minutes; remove from pan and let cool. Combine with lemon zest, roasted red pepper, capers, lemon juice, 1/4 cup chopped tarragon, pine nuts, salt and pepper.
- Oil, season and grill sardines until lightly charred, 2 - 3 minutes. Serve eggplant puree topped with the sardines and drizzled with tarragon dressing.