- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryLamb tends to get a side eye from some folks but that's no surprise since it can be an acquired taste. I used to think lamb was too gamey and too tough for me. Then, I tried well prepared lamb dishes and I became a fan. Mediterranean inspired dishes is how I usually prepare and enjoy lamb so there was no question lamb would be included in our recent Mediterranean Kabob Party. If you're not a lamb fan, I encourage you to give it another chance. These Grilled Skewered Lamb Kabobs are so succulent and flavorful that I'm willing to bet you'll change your mind about lamb...
My friend Howard brought these amazing kabobs to our kabob party. The lamb marinated overnight in a mixture of olive oil, lemon juice, yogurt, cilantro, mint and curry powder. I suppose you could marinate it for a shorter period of time but I think the time allows the lamb to tenderize and absorb all the flavors perfectly. Once they're grilled, don't dig in quite yet. To complete the dish, serve it with the herbed yogurt which gives the kabobs a nice cool and creamy contrast!
- Grilled Skewered Lamb Kabobs
- recipe adapted from Cook's Illustrated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves or mint
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless lamb cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- table salt
- Herbed Yogurt
- 2/3 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Whisk all ingredients except the lamb and salt in a small bowl until marinade is combined. Place lamb cubes in a zipper lock bag or in a shallow, nonreactive pan. Pour yogurt marinade over lamb and seal or cover. Chill bag or bowl in refrigerator at least 8 hours or overnight to marinate the lamb.
- Heat grill. Remove lamb from bag or pan and sprinkle with salt. Threat 1/6 of the lamb cubes on each skewer* to yield 6 skewers. Place skewers on the hot grill rack. Cover and cook over medium hot fire, turning once, until medium rare, about 7-8 minutes. Serve with herbed yogurt below.
- For the Herbed Yogurt, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and serve with grilled lamb.