- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion - chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic - minced
- 1 cup ripe tomato - diced
- 1/2 cup oil packed sun-dried tomatoes - thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh basil - rough chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 (5-6" diameter) Portobello mushroom caps
- 1 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese - shredded
- Remove the mushroom stems and, with a spoon, scrape out the black gills from the underside of the mushroom caps. Chop the stems.
- In saucepan, warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil.Add onions and stems, cook until golden, approximately 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and diced tomatoes. Cook for one minute. Add sun-dried tomatoes, salt and pepper, lemon juice and chopped basil. Remove from heat.
- Brush or spray the tops of the mushrooms with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill, caps up, for five minutes.
- Remove, place on a work surface, caps down.
- Spoon the filling into each mushroom, spreading evenly to the edges.
- In a small bowl, toss together the Italian bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.Salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle each mushroom with cheese mixture and olive oil.
- Grill the mushrooms again, cap side down on the grill over medium heat until lightly browned on the top, approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm.
NotesGreat as a side dish or the main course. The grill adds flavor you just can't get from your oven.
Short & Sweet
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
A Falcon FeastSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More