- Cooking Time: 45 min
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 20 min
- Whole chicken cut into 8 pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- Zest (rind) of one lemon, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- In a bowl big enough to marinate the chicken, combine the yogurt, olive oil, garlic, lemon zest, mint leaves, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt; set aside.
- Rinse the chicken pieces well and pat dry. Add the chicken to the yogurt marinade, turning to coat both sides; cover with plastic wrap (or put in a plastic bag). Let marinade in the refrigerator at least 8 hours, preferably 24 hours.
- Preheat barbecue grill. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade. Place chicken on prepared grill and proceed as follows:
- When coals are ready, spread them around the edge of the firebox (24" round) and keep a squirt bottle near the fire to put out flames. Turn the chicken often and don't let it burn. Breasts take about 25 minutes or until a meat thermometer registers an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. (juices will run clear when cut with the tip of a knife). Do not close the lid on the barbecue.
NotesMore Chicken!!! yay!