- Cooking Time: 15
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 60-120
- 1 carton (8 oz.) plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tsp. sugar
- FILLING: 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. salt, optional
- 3/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 pita breads (6 inches), halved, warmed
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Chill.
- In a large bowl, combine seasonings, crumble beef over mixture; mix well. Shape into 4 patties.
- Grill patties, covered, over medium-hot heat for 6-7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F.
- Cut patties into thin slices; stuff into pita halves.
- Add lettuce, tomato and onion. Serve with the yogurt sauce.
NotesI love gyros sandwiches, so here's an easy way to prepare them at home thanks to this TOH Prize Winning Recipe submission. Although I haven't tried this yet, it seems promising, although not authentic.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern Creations
Gluten Free Baking With KitchenAid: 33 Bloggers Share GF Treats!See More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More