Ground Beef Pie
1 1/2 pounds ground beef (96% lean ground round)
2 cups Italian-style bread crumbs (8-ounce package)
3 cups chopped onions (12-ounce package) divided
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups shredded potatoes (1/2 26-ounce frozen package)
1/2 pound Mexican four-cheese blend (8-ounce package)
1 tomato for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Mix thoroughly ground beef, bread crumbs, 1 cup of the chopped onions, eggs, salt, and pepper and press onto bottom and up the sides of a 10-inch springform pan (approximately 3/8-inch thick).
3. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. While beef is baking, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the remaining 2 cups onion and the potatoes and sauté for 10 minutes on medium high heat, turning to prevent sticking.
5. Remove beef mixture from oven and fill with the sautéed onions and potato mixture. Cover with cheese and return to 375 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until lightly browned.
6. Peel tomato and roll the peel tightly to make a rose and place on center of the pie. Chop remaining tomato and apply as garnish around edge of the pie.