- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1-1/2 lb. jumbo shrimp, peeled deveined, shells reserved
- 1 cup bottle clam broth, chicken broth, or water
- 8 Tbsp. (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, both white & green parts, trimmed, finely chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp. Tabasco hot sauce
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 tsp. cayenne
- 2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 c. dark cane syrup
- 1. Combine the shrimp shells and clam broth in a medium-size saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until slightly reduced and well flavored (the shrimp shells will turn orange), 10 to 15 minutes. Strain the broth into another medium-size saucepan; you should have about ¾ cup.
- 2. To the shrimp broth, add the butter, garlic, and scallions, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce, bay leave, cayenne, paprika, thyme, oregano, salt, black pepper, and syrup.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, uncovered, until thick, syrupy, and richly flavored, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- 3. Meanwhile, rinse shrimp under cold running water, drain, and blot dry.
- 4. Add shrimp to cooled marinade in saucepan and toss to coat.
- Cover and let marinate in refrigerator for 2 to 4 hours.
- 5. Preheat grill to high.
- 6. When ready to cook, oil the grill grate. Remove shrimp from marinade, reserving the marinade.
- Arrange the shrimp on the hot grate and grill, turning with tongs, until nicely browned on outside and firm and pink inside, about 2 minutes per side.
- Brush shrimp with 2-3 Tbsp. of reserved marinade while cooking.
- 7. Transfer shrimp to serving platter.
- Bring remaining marinade to a boil in its saucepan over medium heat.
- Pour over shrimp and serve immediately.
- Serves 6-8 as an appetizer, 4 as an entrée.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Food Travels Through Italy
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Baked Potato Soup
Spicy Chicken Schnitzel and Bacon BaguetteSee More