- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- l large chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 5 or 6 cloves, chopped garlic
- 1 cup of chopped green pepper
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 can of tomatoes ("Rotel" tomatoes for a spicier taste!)
- 1 pound, fresh sliced okra (or 2 boxes of frozen sliced okra)
- 2 pounds of fresh shrimp
- 2 - 3 cups water
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- For seafood gumbo, add to the above:
- 1 small can of crabmeat or 3 fresh gumbo crabs
- 1 jar oysters
- Slowly stir the flour into heated oil in a heavy cast iron skillet. Continue to stir until the flour is dark brown. Add the next 4 ingredients; stir until onions are clear.
- Add tomato sauce. Stir until it gets crumbly or dry. Fry okra in another skillet until it is no longer sticky or stringy. Add tomatoes and fried okra.
- Cook slowly, adding 2 to 3 cups of water--a little at a time. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in one teaspoon of sugar.
- Cook for about an hour on a low fire, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom of pot; adding water if necessary. Add the shrimp and the bay leaf (and if desired, the oysters and crabmeat).
- Cook another 30 minutes to an hour, adding seasoning to taste.
- Serve over boiled or steamed rice.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Adventures in Cooking
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Oliver & Grandson's Cajun and Southern CreationsSee More
Whey Bean Salad
Boo CupsSee More