- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: About 10
- Preparation Time: 10-15
- 6 leg quarters, boiled, and deboned. Save the broth
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 boiled blue crabs (optional)
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 3 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 tsp. Garlic powder
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp. gumbo file
- 1 cup okra
- 1/4 Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. Kitchen Bouquet Browning Seasoning
- Louisiana Hot Sauce (optional)
- Keep the chicken broth on medium-low heat.
- Put the onion, bell pepper, and okra into a food processor and run until it is minced.
- Add the butter, sausage, and vegetables and sauté the mixture in a preheated skillet.
- When everything is soft (3-5 minutes), add the flour.
- Brown the flour and add the Kitchen Bouquet.
- Stir it in for about one minute.
- Add everything in the skillet to the broth.
- Heat the broth back to boiling.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the broth except for the shrimp.
- Let the gumbo boil for about 15 minutes then add the shrimp.
- Remove from heat after 1 minute and let the gumbo sit for 3 minutes.
- The shrimp will finish cooking during the 3 minutes.
- Add 3-20 drops of Louisiana hot sauce (to taste) to the bowl after serving.
NotesThis is a family recipe for Gumbo. It was originally my great grandfather's recipe, and it has been tweaked and perfected for over 40 years. It isn't your typical gumbo.
Submitted by: "Timothy Lindsay"
Mrs. Claus Cooks for Holiday Entertaining
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake RecipeSee More
mussels for one or two
Carrot Cake Bites! GF, V, SCD, Paleo!See More