- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: About 10
- Preparation Time: 10-15
- 6 leg quarters, boiled, and deboned. Save the broth
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 boiled blue crabs (optional)
- 1 cup onion
- 1 cup green bell pepper
- 3 tbsp. butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 2 tsp. Garlic powder
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp. gumbo file
- 1 cup okra
- 1/4 Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp. Kitchen Bouquet Browning Seasoning
- Louisiana Hot Sauce (optional)
- Keep the chicken broth on medium-low heat.
- Put the onion, bell pepper, and okra into a food processor and run until it is minced.
- Add the butter, sausage, and vegetables and sauté the mixture in a preheated skillet.
- When everything is soft (3-5 minutes), add the flour.
- Brown the flour and add the Kitchen Bouquet.
- Stir it in for about one minute.
- Add everything in the skillet to the broth.
- Heat the broth back to boiling.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the broth except for the shrimp.
- Let the gumbo boil for about 15 minutes then add the shrimp.
- Remove from heat after 1 minute and let the gumbo sit for 3 minutes.
- The shrimp will finish cooking during the 3 minutes.
- Add 3-20 drops of Louisiana hot sauce (to taste) to the bowl after serving.
NotesThis is a family recipe for Gumbo. It was originally my great grandfather's recipe, and it has been tweaked and perfected for over 40 years. It isn't your typical gumbo.
Submitted by: "Timothy Lindsay"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Adventures in Cooking
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More