- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryOne of the five finalists selected for Emeril's Best Mac 'n' Cheese Ever Challenge (2008).
- 1 lb. Ronzoni cavatappi pasta
- 1 stick butter
- 3 tablespoons Frank's Red Hot cayenne pepper sauce
- 1 medium red onion, peeled and chopped very fine
- Salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 extra-large eggs
- 3 12 oz. cans evaporated milk
- 2 10 oz. blocks of extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 8 oz. block of Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno peppers, grated
- 6 disposable tinfoil muffin pans
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°. Boil the cavatappi in salted water until al dente. Drain and return to pot and add butter, hot sauce, onion and salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat eggs slightly, combine with evaporated milk and set aside. In a second bowl, grate cheeses, combine and set aside.
- Prepare muffin tins by spraying with cooking spray. Stir ½ of grated cheese to cooled cavatappi mixture. Mix well.
- Fill each muffin well with ¼ cup of cavatappi mix. Carefully pour enough milk/egg mix into muffin tins placed on cookie sheets. Place in hot oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until muffins have an evenly brown crust.
- Remove pans from oven and allow cooling for 10-15 minutes. Remove individual muffins from pans and arrange on platter with sprigs of fresh parsley for garnish.