- Cooking Time: 19
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time: 70
BackstoryKids will love decorating these feathery owls with sliced almonds, candy rings and whole cashews. The cream cheese frosting is extra creamy and complements the coconut cupcakes.
The back of a spoon works great to make decorative swirls when frosting cakes and cupcakes.
Butter rum candies with holes are available in bags or rolls. Yellow or orange candies can be substituted for the butter rum.
- Cupcakes Ingredients:
- 1 (18.25-ounce) package butter recipe white cake mix
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
- 3 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Frosting Ingredients:
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Decorations Ingredients:
- 48 butter rum-flavored hard candies with holes
- Milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 24 whole cashews
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all cake ingredients except coconut in large bowl.
- Beat according to package directions.
- Gently stir in coconut.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake for 19 to 22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Combine all frosting ingredients in medium bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
- Frost cooled cupcakes.
- Place 2 butter rum candies on each cupcake for eyes.
- Dip bottoms of chocolate chips into frosting; place onto each candy circle to form center of eye.
- Arrange almonds above eyes for feathers.
- Add cashew for beak.
- Store refrigerated in container with tight-fitting lid.