- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1tsp. food colour –red or green for Christmas
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 c. brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cardamom
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ c. oil
- ¼ c. butter
- ¼ c. peanuts (optional)
- In a bowl, mix 1c. water with corn starch and food colour and mix well.
- In a pan on medium high, add the remaining water, sugars and stir well until sugars are fully dissolved.
- Once small bubbles start to form, add the corn starch mixture, stir constantly until it starts to thicken, then add the oil and stir well.
- Continue stirring for about 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and, in a folding manner, stir every 15 min., adding 1 tabl.of butter each time.
- Stir every 15 min. for about 1 hour (6 times) or until lots of tiny
- bubbles form all over the halwa.
- Add the cardamom, nutmeg, and peanuts, if using.
- Stir well to get the spices and nuts through the whole halwa.
- Skim off excess liquid.
- Pour the halwa out into the pan 13x9, smooth out the top and let sit for 3 hours, until cool and not runny.
- Cut and serve.
NotesReprinted from Celi-Yak News - Winter 2009
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More