- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryGood way to use up that leftover ham from easter
- 1 lb. dry navy beans
- 8 c. water
- Leftover ham, however much you like, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped (or less to taste)
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- Several dashes Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Rinse beans. In 4-quart pan, combine beans and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer two minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand two hours. (Or soak beans overnight instead.) Do not drain.
- Bring beans and water to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer. Add ham and other ingredients except salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. (I've also let it simmer longer, over a very low heat, and it's good.) Season to taste. Makes 8-10 servings. Good reheated the next day, too.