- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. dry navy beans
- 8 c. water
- Leftover ham, however much you like, cut in bite-size pieces
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped (or less to taste)
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1/4 t. pepper
- Several dashes Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce, to taste
- Rinse beans. In 4-quart pan, combine beans and water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat and simmer two minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand two hours. (Or soak beans overnight instead.) Do not drain.
- Bring beans and water to boiling, then reduce heat to simmer. Add ham and other ingredients except salt and pepper. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender. (I've also let it simmer longer, over a very low heat, and it's good.) Season to taste. Makes 8-10 servings. Good reheated the next day, too.
NotesGood way to use up that leftover ham from easter
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More