- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 16 oz. pkg (2 cups) dried split peas
- 2 lb. smoked ham shank
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. basil leaves
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 peppercorns (I used about 1/8 tsp. pepper)
- 2 quarts (8 cups) water
- 2 medium stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 med. carrot, sliced or chopped
- In a large saucepan combine first 7 ingredients.
- Simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Stir in celery and carrots.
- Continue simmering covered for 1/2 to 1 hour or until peas are tender and soup thickens.
- Remove peppercorns (if you used them instead of ground pepper) and ham shank; cut meat from bone and return to soup.
- Heat through.
NotesI have used this recipe for many years. It is so simple to make. Just needs stirring once it is prepared for cooking.
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252See More
Salted Caramel - Sauce and/or squares
All the food groups in one dish...if you consider tomatoes a fruit :)!
Hanky PankySee More