- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 16 oz. pkg (2 cups) dried split peas
- 2 lb. smoked ham shank
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. basil leaves
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 peppercorns (I used about 1/8 tsp. pepper)
- 2 quarts (8 cups) water
- 2 medium stalks of celery, sliced
- 1 med. carrot, sliced or chopped
- In a large saucepan combine first 7 ingredients.
- Simmer covered for 1 hour.
- Stir in celery and carrots.
- Continue simmering covered for 1/2 to 1 hour or until peas are tender and soup thickens.
- Remove peppercorns (if you used them instead of ground pepper) and ham shank; cut meat from bone and return to soup.
- Heat through.
NotesI have used this recipe for many years. It is so simple to make. Just needs stirring once it is prepared for cooking.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Get Fit With Good Food!See More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More