- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. pkg. dried large lima beans
- 1 lb. smoked ham hock
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 2 lg. celery stalks, chopped
- 2 lg. carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 pepper corns
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- Salt to taste
- In large bowl, cover dried beans with 6 to 8 cups cold water. Let stand overnight. Drain beans reserving water. In large pot, place ham hock with at least 3 cups reserved water. Cover and heat to boiling; simmer ham hock 30 minutes. Add beans and remaining ingredients except salt.
- Add more water if necessary just to cover beans. Simmer 1 hour or until beans and ham hock are tender. Add salt if desired.
NotesYou can really use any dry beans you like in this hearty dish.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Super-Simple Snickers Pies
Cilantro Pork Tamales
PUmpkin Carrot Swirl BarsSee More