- Cooking Time: 1 hour 35 - 40 minutes
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 onions, sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place almonds on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Toast at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Mix broth, brown rice, and wild rice in a medium saucepan, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, until rice is tender and broth is absorbed.
- In medium skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and brown sugar.
- Saute until butter is absorbed and onions are translucent and soft.
- Reduce heat, and cook onions for another 20 minutes, until they are caramelized.
- Stir cranberries and mushrooms into the skillet.
- Cover, and cook 10 minutes or until berries start to swell.
- Stir in almonds and orange zest, then fold the mixture into the cooked rice. Salt and pepper to taste.
NotesReprinted from Celi-Yak News Winter 2011
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Second Grade Holiday CookbookSee More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More