- Cooking Time: 1 hour 35 - 40 minutes
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryReprinted from Celi-Yak News Winter 2011
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 onions, sliced into 1/2 inch wedges
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place almonds on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Toast at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Mix broth, brown rice, and wild rice in a medium saucepan, and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 45 minutes, until rice is tender and broth is absorbed.
- In medium skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and brown sugar.
- Saute until butter is absorbed and onions are translucent and soft.
- Reduce heat, and cook onions for another 20 minutes, until they are caramelized.
- Stir cranberries and mushrooms into the skillet.
- Cover, and cook 10 minutes or until berries start to swell.
- Stir in almonds and orange zest, then fold the mixture into the cooked rice. Salt and pepper to taste.