- Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes
- Servings: 2-3
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
BackstoryI used to go to Waffle House when I lived in Florida just for their hash browns. I moved back up north and we don't have Waffle House. We don't even have hash browns except at one place and that's new.
These are better than Waffle House anyway.
Mostly these are breakfast potatoes but I have them with dinner often also.
The beauty of hash browns is you can put anything at all into them, add what you have or what you want, you can even make a whole meal out of them depending on what you add. Have fun!!
- 1 20 oz. package of Simply Potatoes shredded hash browns
- or you can shred your own.
- 1 stick of butter or margerine
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 slice american cheese or whatever cheese you like better.
- Melt butter in 10-12" frying pan on medium heat, add onions and cook them for just a minute or two before adding potatoes. Stir the potatoes well to get the butter distrubuted then take your spatula and flatten them down and cover the pan (I use tin foil for this).
- Take the spatula and turn the potatoes often, every 3-7 minutes until the brown is mixed well in the entire mixture.
- How long you cook them or how brown you make them is to your personal taste, I like mine with a lot of brown.
- When they are done either sprinkle your cheese or break the slice of american cheese into little pieces and distribute over the potatoes then fold the potatoes over in half so the cheese is in the middle.
- Give it just a minute so the cheese can melt and then they're ready to eat.
- To make more than one package at a time add a 1/2 stick of butter or margerine and increase the cheese to suit.