- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 20
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (105 to 115 F)
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup + 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- about 6 cups all purpose flour
- 1 extra whole egg and sugar for brushing over/glazing the rolls before baking
- Stir yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar into the warm water in a small bowl.
- Let stand 5 to 10 minutes or until bubbly.
- Bubbles assure you that the yeast is active.
- In a small saucepan, scald pineapple juice, 2/3 cup sugar and butter just till warm and butter is almost melted.
- Add eggs, salt, ground ginger and vanilla.
- Place 3 cups flour in large mixing bowl and mix in dissolved yeast and pineapple mixture.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until blended.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Knead on floured surface until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in lightly oiled bowl, turn to coat and cover with a plastic wrap, then with a clean dish towel.
- Let rise until doubled in volume, 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours (Dough is well risen when indentation remains when you press one finger in the dough).
- Punch down dough and divide into 18 or 20 rolls.
- Divide rolls in two lightly oiled 9-inch round pans.
- Let rise (proof) again, about 1 hour.
- Brush rolls with beaten egg and sprinkle with sugar, then bake in preheated 350 F oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- You must SAVE this recipe
NotesHomemade dinner rolls will always delight your family and guests. I usually bake these easy-to-make rolls in store-bought foil-round pans (with accompanying clear lids), but you can also bake these in 2 loaf pans.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Foodie BabySee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More