- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 10
BackstoryThese are biscotti style biscuits. Biscotti means twice cooked, once as a log shape, then sliced and re-‐baked so they are nice and crisp.
- 175g plain flour
- 1⁄4 tsp baking powder
- 40g Tate & Lyle Light at Heart -‐ Brown
- 2 medium free range eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 tsp almond extract, optional
- 60g dried cranberries
- 60g blanched hazelnuts or blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 Preheat the oven to 180oC/Gas 4 (if using a fan-‐assisted oven adjust temperature according to instructions). Line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- 2 Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl then stir in all the remaining ingredients. Start to pull the stiff mixture together using your hands. Knead the mixture well on a lightly floured work surface for at least 2 to 3 minutes.
- 3 Roll the dough into a long sausage shape and gently flatten. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until it is golden and feels firm when pressed. Leave to cool for 10 minutes then cut the log into 12 slices on the diagonal (at an angle of about 45 degrees) and bake again for 5 to 10 minutes or until golden, turning over once. Remove from the baking sheet and leave to cool on a wire rack.
- Serve these deliciously crisp biscuits to dunk in hot chocolate, espresso coffee or vin santo. Get the kids involved: Kids love kneading the dough and rolling it into a long sausage shape.