HAZELNUT CHOCOLATE CHIP SCONES
- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 c. flour
- 1/3 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 Tb. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 c. semisweet or milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 c. toasted hazelnuts (see Note)
- Addtl. toasted hazelnuts for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly butter a 9" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl, stir together buttermilk, egg and vanilla. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. Stir in chocolate chips and hazelnuts. The dough will be sticky.
- Spread dough into 8" diameter circle in center of prepared baking sheet. Arrange additional hazelnuts around edge of dough for garnish, if desired. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake 17-19 min. or 'til top is lightly browned and cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
- Note: To toast hazelnuts, place hazelnuts in single layer on baking sheet and bake at 350ºF for about 12 min, shaking the sheet a couple of times 'til nuts are golden beneath the skins. Wrap nuts in clean kitchen towel. Cool for 20 min. and rub off skins.
Notes"These cakey scones are studded with hazelnuts and chocolate chips. They're great with a mug of steaming hot cocoa."