- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- Zest (finely grated rind) of 1 orange
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick (4 Tablespoons) cold butter, cut in pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream( or orange or lemon-flavored low fat yogurt)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or currants
- 1 Tablespoon coarse or regular sugar, for topping
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease it lighlty. In a mixing bowl, or food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine flour, sugar (not the sugar for topping), baking powder, zest, salt and butter pieces. Use a pastry cutter,or process in short bursts, until the butter looks like crumbs.
- 2. Seperate the eggs, setting aside one egg white; beat the whole egg and extra yolk together in a small bowl. add sour cream (or yogurt) and dried fruit. Stir these with wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to make a sticky dough.
- 3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat dough into a cricle about 1 inch thick. Cut out eith a heart-shaped (or round) 2 1/2-inch cutter. Place 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Beat the reserved egg white with a fork until frothy; brush over the top of the sconces. Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon sugar.
- 4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until puffed and lighlty browned.
NotesDebra says, "Received this in a book years ago from a friend, who knew my love for Helen Keller. - These come out so Yummy! I have loved them for years. Hope you do also."
The Italian Exchange
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Second Grade Holiday Cookbook 2014See More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More