- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- Zest (finely grated rind) of 1 orange
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick (4 Tablespoons) cold butter, cut in pieces
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sour cream( or orange or lemon-flavored low fat yogurt)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or currants
- 1 Tablespoon coarse or regular sugar, for topping
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, or grease it lighlty. In a mixing bowl, or food processor fitted with the steel blade, combine flour, sugar (not the sugar for topping), baking powder, zest, salt and butter pieces. Use a pastry cutter,or process in short bursts, until the butter looks like crumbs.
- 2. Seperate the eggs, setting aside one egg white; beat the whole egg and extra yolk together in a small bowl. add sour cream (or yogurt) and dried fruit. Stir these with wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to make a sticky dough.
- 3. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and pat dough into a cricle about 1 inch thick. Cut out eith a heart-shaped (or round) 2 1/2-inch cutter. Place 1 inch apart on the baking sheet. Beat the reserved egg white with a fork until frothy; brush over the top of the sconces. Sprinkle with 1 Tablespoon sugar.
- 4. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until puffed and lighlty browned.
NotesDebra says, "Received this in a book years ago from a friend, who knew my love for Helen Keller. - These come out so Yummy! I have loved them for years. Hope you do also."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for BreakfastSee More
Baked Potato Soup
Spicy Chicken Schnitzel and Bacon BaguetteSee More