- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tb. molasses
- 1 Tb. honey
- 1/4 c. unprocessed bran
- 1/2 c. flour
- 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
- 1/4 c. rye flour
- 1/4 c. plus 1 1/2 Tb. uncooked old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 c. yellow cornmeal
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 6 Tb. unsalted butter, chilled
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Lightly butter a 9" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In small bowl stir together the buttermilk, egg, molasses and honey. Stir in bran and let stand for at least 2 min. or 'til cereal has softened. In large bowl stir together flours, 1/4 c. oats, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add bran mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into 8" diameter circle in center of prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle surface of dough evenly with remaining 1 1/2 Tb. oatmeal. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 16-18 min. or 'til top is lightly browned and a cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack & cool 5 min Using spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut into wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
- Try this with Dilled Salmon Cream Cheese Spread!
- DILLED SALMON CREAM CHEESE SPREAD
- from 'Simply Scones' by Leslie Werner & Barbara Albright
- "Try this with Dilled Scallion or Hearty Grain Scones."
- 3 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 c. chopped smoked salmon
- 1 tsp. fresh dill or 1/4 tsp. dried dill weed
- generous dash freshly ground black pepper
- In small bowl, stir together cream cheese, salmon, dill and pepper 'til combined. Serve the spread immediately or cover and refrigerate. To serve, let stand 15 min. at room temp. to soften.
- Makes approx. 1/2 cup.
Notes"These scones are packed with an assortment of grains."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Cooking for a CureSee More
Calzone de Gen aux épinards (ou bette à carde/chou frisé)
Chocolate Drizzled Lemon and Almond BiscottiSee More