- Cooking Time: 30 to 40
- Preparation Time: 40
- Yeast dough:
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1 1/2 pgs active dry yeast (is there a wet yeast?)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablepoons butter
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3 tablespoons (25 g) raisins
- 1 egg, beaten
- Filling and topping:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon gound cinnamon
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- To make the dough, stir a pinch of sugar into water; sprinkle with eyast. Let stand 5 minutes. Boil milk in a small sacue pan. Stir in remaining sugar and butter; cool. Sift flour into a large bowl. Add salt, almonds and raisins. Stir yeast mixture and egg into milk mixture. Add to lfour, making a dough. On a floured surface, knead dough until smooth.Cover and let rise in a warm place
- 20 minutes. Grease a 9 inch springform pan. Roll out dough to a 14 x 12 inch rectangle.
- To make filing and topping:
- Spread half of butter over dough. Spinkle with half of sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll up for shorter side; cut into 1 inch slices. Heat remaining butter, honey,
- remaining sugar and almonds in a small saucepan over low heat. Pour dissolved honey mixture into pan.
- Form balls from dough slices; arrange in pan. Let rise in a warm place 25 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 f (190C). Bake 30 to 40 minutes or utnil golden. Invert onto a rack to cool.
NotesThis cake used to be common at tea and coffee parties, in California.
It's a bit softer than doughnuts, but just as delicious! But don't share it
with the bees, they'll take the whole thing away.
My Family Cookbook
Food Travels Through Italy
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More