Habitat's Favorite Tamale Pie
Two lbs hamburger or chopped steak
(1) Onion /1/2 cup, chopped
15oz can creamed corn
8oz can tomato sauce
1 can black olives
1 pkg (5 – 6) chicken or beef tamales
Sliced cheese, as desired (usually cheddar used)
1. Brown hamburger and chopped onion together.
2. Slice cheese and tamales separately. Save.
3. Build in layers in Crockpot or roasting pot as follows:
• Sliced tamales.
• Hamburger/onion mix
• Sprinkle with worcheshire sauce
• Tomato sauce, creamed corn and olives
• Cheese slices.
Repeat this sequence three times (so don’t use the tomato sauce/corn/olives in one layer) ending with sliced cheese on top.
Bake uncovered in oven at 350 for 2 hours (I think) was original recipe. I cook this in the Crockpot, low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
Pairs Well With
This recipe came from my great aunt Louise, but every branch of the family likes it. I volunteer for Habitat for Humanity by occasionally providing lunch for the work crew. Last time I made Tamale Pie, I got eight thank you notes and recipe requests.
Submitted by: "Melanie Moore"