- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2/3 C solid vegetable shortening
- 2/3 C butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 C granulated white sugar
- 3/4 C firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 t. vanilla
- 3 1/2 C all-purpose flour
- 2 t. baking powder
- 1 t. salt
- 4 t. pumpkin pie spice
- 1 t. each ground allspice, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg
- Confectioner's icing
- Assorted candy decorations
- In large bowl of electric mixer, beat shortening, butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar until creamy; beat in eggs and vanilla.
- In another bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt and pumpkin pie spice; gradually add to butter mixture, blending thoroughly. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refridgerate for 1 to 2 hours.
- Using a stocking net or floured rolling pin, roll out dough, a portion at a time, on a floured board to 3/8 inch thickness. Keep remaining dough refridgerated until ready to use.
- Cut out using Halloween themed cookie cutters. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheets 2 inches apart.
- Bake in 375 degree F. oven 12-15 minutes. Cooking time will vary with size of the cutouts, so watch closely. Transfer to racks to cool completely (wax paper works ok too). Top with confectioners icing and any other decorations desired.
- Confectioners icing: In a bowl, stir together 2 cups sifted powdered sugar and enough milk (about 3 T) to make spreadable icing. Tint with food color as desired.
NotesI use this dough to make Halloween cutout cookies every year. It tastes a bit like gingerbread, but lighter without the molasses.