- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 100
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryNotes: Use a cleaned 1-quart milk or orange juice carton to hold straws.
- 1 (6 ounce) package raspberry gelatin or grape flavor gelatin
- 3 (1/4 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 3 cups boiling water
- 100 flexible plastic straws
- 1 tall slender 4 cup container (same height as extended straws)
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 12-15 drops green food coloring
- In a bowl, combine gelatins.
- Add boiling water; stir until gelatins completely dissolve.
- Chill until lukewarm, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, gently pull straws to extend to full length;
- place in tall container.
- Blend cream and food coloring with the lukewarm gelatin mixture.
- Pour into container, filling straws.
- Chill until gelatin is firm, at least 8 hours, or cover and chill up to 2 days.
- Pull straws from container (if using a carton, tear carton away from straws).
- Pull straws apart; run hot tap water for about 2 seconds over 3 to 4 straws at a time.
- Starting at the empty ends, push worms from straws with rolling pin, or use your fingers; lay worms on waxed paper-lined baking sheets.
- Cover and chill until ready to use, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days.