- Cooking Time: 20
- Servings: 54
- Preparation Time: 15
- 5 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cups cold water
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 lb. Lard
- Poppy seeds, caraway seeds or sesame seeds.
- 3 cups finely diced (1/4") cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimento
- 1 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 tin tomato soup (undiluted)
- 1/2 bottle chili ketchup
- Mix together filling and set aside.
- Measure flour(without sifting) into a large mixing bowl.
- Add brown sugar, salt and baking powder; stir well to blend.
- Add half the lard and rub in with fingertips. Cut in remaining lard until particles are the size of small peas.
- Combine water, 1 egg and vinegar in a small bowl,Beat slightly.
- Add all at once to flour mixture and stir with fork until dough holds together.
- Form a ball and wrap in waxed paper.
- Chill before using.
- Roll out portions of the dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8" thickness.
- Cut into circles using 3 3/4" or 4" cutter. Place circles on ungreased baking sheets.
- Spread a scant tablespoon of filling on one half of pastry.
- Moisten edge and fold over.
- Seal edges with tines of fork.
- Cut tiny slits in tops of pasty for steam to escape.
- Brush pasties with mixture of 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water.
- Sprinkle poppy seeds or caraway seeds over top if desired.
- Bake at 400F for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Serve warm.
- Makes 4 1/2 dozen.
- Tip: Pastries may be baked then frozen to be reheated before serving; or they may be frozen unbaked.
NotesRecipe from Bill Brown, however my mother-in-law Stella Timms used to make this for years. Bill Brown being her brother-in-law.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Austin Personal Training Recipes
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More