- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryDeep Dish Ham Quiche with Herb and Asparagus Salad
Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 cup (11/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cold and cut into small chunks
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons ice water, plus more if needed
- Combine the flour, salt, and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the butter and mix with a pastry blender or your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat the egg yolk and ice water in a small bowl to blend, add it to the pastry.
- Work it in to bind the dough until it holds together without being too wet or sticky.
- Squeeze a small amount together, if it is crumbly, add more ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Form the dough into a disk and wrap in plastic wrap; refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the counter and a rolling pin lightly with flour.
- Roll the dough out into a 14-inch circle about 1/4-inch thick.
- Carefully roll the dough up onto the pin (this may take a little practice) and lay it inside a 9-inch springform pan.
- Press the dough firmly into the bottom and sides so it fits tightly; trim the excess dough around the rim.
- Place the pan on a sturdy cookie sheet so it will be easier to move in and out of the oven, this quiche is pretty heavy.