- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 8 oz bacon, finely chopped
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 med onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 8 oz small white button mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 cups red wine, Pinot Noir or Beaujolais preferably
- 2 cups home made chicken broth or low sodium canned chicken broth
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 5 (6 to 8 oz ea) slices of ham
- 1/8 cup finely minced parsley
- Fry the bacon peices in the bottom of a large, wide skillet over medium heat, stirring often, until bacon is crisp, about 5 to 8 minutes. Pour off the excess bacon fat as it accumulates, reserving 2 tbsp. Drain the bacon bits on paper towels and reserve.
- Combine 2 tbsp of bacon fat and 2 tbsp butter in the pan. Melt butter, scraping to get solids off the bottom of the pan. Add onion to pan and cook stirring and scraping occasionally, until onions are transparent. Add 2 tbsp butter and the mushrooms and slowly cook over low heat, until they have yielded all their juices and are thoroughly cooked.
- Add the red wine to the mixture. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat and add chicken broth. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Make a paste with the remaining 2 tbsp of butter and flour. Stir this paste into the sauace and whisk vigorously to completely combine. Add the mustard and cook over low heat for 5 minutes to thicken sauce and blend flavors. Carefully place the ham slices in the skillet, covering each slice with the sauce and simmer 5 more minutes to heat through.
- Serve all the ham slices on a large platter or on individual plates.
- Cover the ham with sauce, garnish with reserved bacon bits and sprinkle with parsley
NotesThe sauce should be made a day or two ahead to mellow. Prepare it up to the addition of the flour and butter thikening paste.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
The Social Cookbook
The Best of GlutenFreeHappyTummy!See More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More