Ham and Broccoli Casserole
2 packages (10-ounce) frozen cut broccoli
2 cups cooked rice
6 tablespoons butter, divided
2 cups fresh bread crumbs (2½ slices bread) (Mom used Tortilla Chip crumbs instead - VVG)
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
3½ cups milk
1½ pounds cubed ham
1 cup grated cheese (cheddar or Swiss) (Mom used ½ cup each and combined them)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook broccoli and drain.
3. Spray a 13 x 9 inch baking dish with vegetable spray; spread rice in first then sprinkle broccoli over
4. In skillet, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a small saucepan.
5. Put breadcrumbs in a bowl and drizzle melted butter over them; stir well and set aside (not needed if
using tortilla chips).
6. Heat remaining 3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet; add onions and sauté until soft. Add flour, salt, and
pepper; cook until hot. Stir in milk and cook until mixture thickens. Add ham and heat. Pour mixture over
rice and broccoli; sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Sprinkle with grated cheddar or Swiss
and let stand 5 minutes to melt.