- Cooking Time: 255+/-
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 piece (about 2-1/2 lb.) smoked bone-in picnic ham
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 lb. (2-1/2 c.) split peas, rinsed and picked through
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium of each: onions, carrots, celery, chopped medium
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 med. garlic cloves (about two teaspoons)
- Pinch sugar
- 3 small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/2" dice (about 3/4 cup)
- Ground black pepper
- Minced red onion (opt.)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Place ham, bay leaves, and 3 quarts water in large stockpot or Dutch oven. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer until meat is tender and pulls away from bone, 2 to 2 ½ hours. Remove ham meat and bone from pot and set aside.
- Add split peas and thyme to stock. Bring back to boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, until peas are tender but not dissolved, about 45 minutes. Meanwhile, when ham is cool enough to handle, shred meat into bite-size pieces and set aside. Discard rind and bone.
- While split peas are simmering, heat oil in large skillet over high heat until shimmering. Add onions, carrots, and celery and sauté, stirring frequently, until most of liquid evaporates and vegetables begin to brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and add butter, garlic, and sugar. Cook vegetables, stirring frequently, until deeply browned, 30 to 35 minutes; set aside.
- Add sautéed vegetables, potatoes, and shredded ham to pot with split peas. Simmer until potatoes are tender and peas dissolve and thicken soup to consistency of light cream, about 20 minutes more. Season soup with pepper to taste.
- (The soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 2 days. Warm the soup over low heat until hot.) Ladle soup into bowls, sprinkle with red onion, if desired and serve, passing balsamic vinegar separately. Yield: 6 servings
NotesAll pea soups are not quite alike and this is the best one I've found from America's Test Kitchen...
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
"Appreciation" The Complimentary "Clean Eats" Vol.3
DIY Tasty Gift IdeasSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More