- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 24-30
- Preparation Time:
- 1 recipe Mohn Filling
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- 1/4 cup milk; lukewarm
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk; scalded
- 2 eggs; slightly beaten
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- Dissolve the yeast in the 1/4 cup of lukewarm milk, making certain that the
- milk is not too warm.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon of sugar and set aside.
- In a deep mixing bowl, combine the butter, remaining sugar, salt and scalded milk, and stir until all are blended.
- When lukewarm, stir in the yeast.
- Add the eggs and about 2 cups of the flour, and beat to a smooth batter.
- Add remaining flour to make a tender dough.
- Turn out on a floured board and knead for about 2 minutes.
- Grease a large mixing bowl; grease whole surface of the large ball of dough and place dough in bowl.
- Let rise in a warm, not hot, place, to double its bulk. (Takes from 2 to 4 hours.)
- Again knead on a floured board for about a minute.
- Roll out 1/8 of an inch thick. Cut into 3- to 4-inch circles.
- Place Mohn Filling on each.
- To shape true hamantaschen, pinch edges of a circle together over filling, leaving about
- 1/2 open, forming a cornucopia.
- Then fold over the flap and pinch these
- edges firmly together.
- Arrange well apart on a greased cookie sheet.
- Cover with a cloth and let rise again in a warm place to double in bulk.
- Brush tops with the egg yolk, thinned with a little water. Bake in a moderate oven 350 F for 15 to 20 minutes.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MetroCooking Texas 2013
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for Breakfast
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake RecipeSee More
Raw “Vodka Sauce”
Memere's Chocolate Chip CookiesSee More