- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1 large onion - diced
- 1 carrot - grated
- 1 stalk celery - diced
- salt and pepper
- 1 # lean ground beef
- 1/4 # ground pork
- 1 can chicken broth(2C home made)
- 2 cans beef broth(4C home made)
- 1 cup strong coffee(or 2T instant coffee)
- Enough water to cover plus 5 cups
- bouquet garni - use tea ball or cheesecloth:
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 T italian spice
- 1 T mint
- 2 T pickling spice
- 1 dried chili
- large sprig of rosemary
- 1/2 pkg frozen pearl onions
- 4 carrots - cut in pieces
- 4 celery stalks - cut in pieces
- 4 potatoes - cubed
- 1 box frozen peas.
- 2 C bisquick
- 2/3 C milk
- 1 T italian spice or Poultry seasoning
- In a large pot, saute first 6 ingredients.
- When just turning color, add beef and pork.
- Brown meat.
- Add liquids and bouquet garni.
- Simmer 1 hour, taste and add salt/pepper as needed.
- Add pearl onions,carrots, celery and potatoes.
- When veggies are tender, add peas.
- Cook another 10 minutes.
- Mix dumplings while peas are cooking.
- When stew is done, with a slotted spoon or hand held sieve, remove the stew (without broth)to large serving bowl (I use a 10x14 or larger baking dish)...get as much stew out as you can.
- Cover with foil.
- Taste the broth and adjust seasoning.
- Bring to a boil, drop dumpling mix by the teaspoonful into the broth, lower heat to simmer, cover and cook 10-15 minutes till dumplings are done.
- Spoon dumplings over stew, pour broth over all.
NotesRecipe is from my 8th grade Home Ec. teacher, Miss Dixon. I've been sharing it for 50 years...I have no idea how long she had the recipe.
It's always a winner.
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Three Sweet Spring Treats from Saddlebred Rescue, Inc.
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
Pandas' Favorite Pie by Kaylan & Finn Agarwal
Peggy's Hot Canapes
Panera Broccoli Cheese SoupSee More