- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup whole dried fava beans - (1/2 lb)
- Water as needed
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- 2 tbl olive oil
- 2 onions minced
- 2 lb lamb shoulder chops cut in 1" cubes
- 8 Spanish saffron threads crushed
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 10 tomatoes - (to 12, abt 3 lbs) peeled, seeded
- 30 parsley sprigs
- 15 cilantro sprigs
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 tsp freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup crushed vermicelli see * Note
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Lemon wedges for serving
- * Note: Substitute orzo or the tiny soup pasta called acini di pepe for the crushed vermicelli, if you prefer.
- Rinse and pick over fava beans, then soak overnight in water to cover. To quick-soak: Place beans in large soup pot and add 10 cups hot water and 1 bay leaf.
- Bring water to a rolling boil for 3 minutes. Turn off heat and soak beans for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The older the beans, the longer they will take to cook. Squeeze each fava bean between your thumb and forefinger to remove skin. Set beans aside.
- Soak lentils for 1 hour in cold water and drain.
- In large soup pot over medium-high heat, heat oil and fry onions and meat, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add saffron, turmeric, ginger and 8 cups water. Cover and bring to rolling boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add fava beans and cook, covered, until beans are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on age of beans.
- Coarsely chop together tomatoes, parsley and cilantro sprigs.
- Add tomato mixture, lentils, pepper, cinnamon and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook until lentils are tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to boil for pasta. Add pasta and cook until soft, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and stir into soup. Taste and add salt to taste and adjust pepper.
- When soup is heated through, ladle harira into individual soup bowls. Top with chopped cilantro and serve immediately with lemon wedges.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Easy Homemade Salad Dressings
$30 Wine+Food PairingsSee More
Hot and Sour Soup
My Husband’s Favorite Desert
Mickey's Pulled PorkSee More