- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 7
- Preparation Time: 190
BackstoryAfter the war, my father was a struggling law student with 5 children. While serving, he developed a strong liking for Spam which turned into devotion when a fellow soldier taught him how to smoke the Spam slowly and enhance its natural favor.
Every Christmas Eve, he would prepare his Smoked Spam Pate to be enjoyed the following day. It doesn’t need to be refrigerated all night – it can be enjoyed immediately – but we have found the pate is better enjoyed after several hours of resting.
Likewise, the Spam being smoked is optional, but the smoky favor combined with the Apple wood hint really adds a wonderful touch.
Submitted by: "Kevin Hart"
- 1 Can Original Spam
- 1½ Tablespoons of Butter
- 1 ½ Cups Port Wine
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 2 Tsp Dried Minced Onion
- Slow smoke Spam for 3 hours over Apple wood chips at 200-225 degrees.
- Cut Spam into small strips.
- Melt 1 T butter in frying pan.
- Brown smoked Spam pieces on all sides.
- Add 1 cup port, oregano and onion to pan.
- Simmer on low for 15 min.
- Cut remaining butter into small pieces.
- Place 1/4 of Spam and juices and butter in blender or food processor.
- Blend on high speed till pureed.
- Add 1/4 more Spam and butter and blend.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup port and blend.
- Continue to add pieces of Spam and butter until blended to smooth paste.
- Be careful to rest blender from time to time so that motor is not taxed.
- Put into serving dish and serve with crackers.