- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups red lentils
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup white miso
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ~ 1 Tbsp sea salt, more to taste
- red pepper flakes and ground pepper, to taste
- chopped fresh cilantro for garnish, optional
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, warm the oil.
- Add the onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, sweet potato, cumin and paprika and sauté 1 to 2 minutes, until spices are fragrant.
- Stir in water and lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until lentils and sweet potatoes are soft, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Let cool.
- In a blender or food processor, purée red lentil-sweet potato mixture with pumpkin, white miso, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Put hummus in a serving bowl.
- Drizzle with a bit of additional olive oil and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
NotesThis is an adaptation of several recipes that are twists on traditional hummus -- feel free to experiment with varying amounts of the different spices -- the amounts listed are just a starting point!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Second Grade Holiday CookbookSee More
pistachio cranberry icebox cookies
Teeny Tiny Italian Meat-loaves
Mom's Holiday Stove Top StuffingSee More