- Cooking Time: 12
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups milk, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more as needed
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs and then whisk in the milk and vanilla.
- Melt the butter in a large cast iron skillet or griddle over medium heat.
- Whisk the butter into the milk mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture, and whisk until a thick batter is just formed.
- Keeping the skillet at medium heat, ladle about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the skillet, to make a pancake. Make 1 or 2 more pancakes, taking care to keep them evenly spaced apart. Cook, until bubbles break the surface of the pancakes, and the undersides are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip with a spatula and cook about 1 minute more on the second side. Serve immediately or transfer to a platter and cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more butter to the skillet as needed.
- Procedure for adding fruit to pancakes: Once the bubbles break the surface of the pancakes, scatter the surface with sliced or diced fruit, or chocolate chips, nuts, etc. Flip with a spatula and cook for 1 minute more, being careful not to burn toppings.
NotesI adapted this recipe from a basic pancake recipe from Food Network. I love gingerbread and love the smells and tastes of fall.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Pretty Food" for the home Chef
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Cinnamon-Apple Chex® Mix
Very Berry Crumble Pie
Salmon Hobo PacksSee More