Harvest Steak & Quinoa Salad
Why I Love This Recipe
Ingredients You'll Need
1/2 cup lite (58% less fat, 41% fewer calories) raspberry & walnut salad dressing
4 teaspoons stone ground mustard
1 beef skirt steak (about 1 pound), cut into 4 pieces
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
2-1/2 cups (about 10 ounces) cubed butternut squash (1/2-inch cubes)
5 cups spring salad greens
1 large red apple, unpeeled, coarsely chopped
1 cup fat-free crumbled feta cheese (about 4 ounces)
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1. Combine salad dressing and mustard in small bowl. Place beef steak and half of dressing mixture in food-safe plastic bag; turn to coat steak. Close bag securely; marinate in refrigerator
6 to 24 hours, turning occasionally. Cover remaining dressing; refrigerate.
2. Cook quinoa according to package directions; set aside.
3. Meanwhile, place squash in 2-quart microwave-safe bowl; cover. Microwave on HIGH 5 minutes. Remove from microwave. Cool; set aside.
4. Remove steak from marinade; discard marinade. Place steak on rack of broiler pan so surface of beef is 2 to 3 inches from heat. Broil 8 to 12 minutes for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning once. Carve steak diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
5. Meanwhile, combine greens, squash, apple, feta cheese and remaining dressing mixture; toss to coat. Place salad on plates. Spoon scant 1/2 cup quinoa in center of salad; top with beef slices. Sprinkle with toasted almonds.
Makes 4 servings
Nutrition information per serving: 787 calories; 20 g fat (6 g saturated fat; 8 g monounsaturated fat); 82 mg cholesterol; 520 mg sodium; 41 g carbohydrate; 5.9 g fiber; 34 g protein; 5.3 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 3.7 mcg vitamin B12; 6.4 mg iron; 18.3 mcg selenium; 5.9 mg zinc; 98.1 mg choline.
This recipe is an excellent source of fiber, protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, iron, selenium and zinc; and a good source of choline.
© Cattlemen’s Beef Board and American National CattleWomen, Inc.